Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Are electronic dog nail filers/grinders easier to use than clippers?

I'd really rather not spend $40+ and then find out I don't like it.Are electronic dog nail filers/grinders easier to use than clippers?
I have used a cordless Dremel on my several dogs plus fosters and friends' dogs for years and love them. Dremel has a small cordless at Wal*Mart for $20 and if you keep the reciept you have 90 days to return it. It does take a few tries to get some dogs used to it but if you have control of your dog I have found it takes only 3 sessions for the dog to accept it. If you have no control over your dog you won't have a dog who trusts you and allows his nails clipped period. BTW, you CAN bleed your dogs' quick with a Dremel if you go to far. It takes about 2 seconds per nail on my MinPins and about 5 seconds per nail on my large breeds. I round off the edge so no sharp points to scratch me or catch on carpet. The noise seems no louder than my Oster clippers I clipped my Poodle with and use on my Dobe's ears. I do use a headlight for best light but found enough light was a problem when I used my reg nail clippers.Are electronic dog nail filers/grinders easier to use than clippers?
Here's the thing, the electronic filers are better for the dogs nails then the clippers. With the clippers, there's a risk of hitting the nerve and your pup bleeding everywhere. Also, the clippers leave brittle edges and broken nails. Sometimes clippers can make the pups paws uncomfortable.





The filers prevent all of that, it's almost impossible to hit the nerve with them, and you always come out with smooth, comfortable edges. The only down side to the filers is that some make a noise that dogs don't like..or if you have a dog that won't stay still, because filing is a longer process, it may take all day to file.
IMO, they're not easier to use because you have to get the dog used to the noise, feeling, etc........ but they do offer a safer way to trim down the nail, without doing damage to the quick.


I use both, trim with clippers then, use the grinder to clean up any rough edges.
I've never used one but I have nail clippers and they work just fine. I think electric ones may end up either scaring the dogs or causing an unpleasant sensation (would you want an electric nail file for your fingernails?). I'd say just use the regular clippers if they're already used to them.
I own the quick finder it gives me peace of mind. They work great. I bought them at jbpet.com I will post the link. Also, it makes no noises that scare dogs. The signal it uses to tell your not cutting too close is colored lights.





http://www.jbpet.com/Quick-Finder-for-Do鈥?/a>
  • myspace pages
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment